Outage Cripples Charter, Verizon
Cody Olivas | The Mountain Mail
The Spring Creek Fire, burning in both Costilla and Huerfano counties, burned down a microwave site Friday afternoon that carries fiberoptics for Verizon.
Consequently, much of Chaffee County’s phone and internet service, including the county’s 911 voice service, has been down since then.
“We’ve had no 911 service to the county for the last 3 days,” Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze said Sunday afternoon. “I will file a complaint with the FCC on Monday – public safety is my concern – citizens and visitors can’t get ahold of 911.”
The problem, Spezze said, is there’s no redundancy in the system. One set of fiberoptic lines carries all of the communications, and there is no backup in place…(Read the full story)