Fire Marshal Investigating Abingdon Gas Leak, Underground Fire
Elizabeth Janney | Bel Air Patch
An underground fire broke out in Abingdon Sunday afternoon, authorities reported. High levels of gas were detected in the area, and the Office of the State Fire Marshal was summoned to investigate.
The gas leak in the 1300 block of Continental Drive drew crews from Abingdon, Aberdeen, Aberdeen Proving Ground and Joppa-Magnolia around 12:46 p.m. on Sunday, according to Rich Gardiner, spokesman for the Harford County Volunteer Fire and EMS Association.
Firefighters found a gas leak and underground fire in front of an unoccupied building, Gardiner said. Due to high levels of gas inside, he said crews backed out and called BGE to secure the gas line.
Once the utilities had been secured, the Abingdon Fire Company reported crews extinguished the fire…(Read the full story)