‘ALL IT WOULD HAVE TAKEN WAS A SPARK’; ST. MARY WAS LUCKY DURING PIPELINE LEAK
Bill Decker | Banner-Tribune Daily Review
Monday’s pipeline break near Baldwin spewed a large but unspecified amount of flammable gas into the air, closed two schools, forced residents from about 50 homes, shut down several businesses, brought out every fire department in the parish, blacked out Franklin and stopped traffic on one of rural Louisiana’s busiest highways.
St. Mary Parish’s homeland security director believes the area was lucky.
“All it would have taken was a spark,” Director Duval Arthur said Monday afternoon.
No one was hurt and no immediate reports of property damage were received after a farmer accidentally hit a hurricane fence and a piece of above-ground pipeline apparatus sometime before 7:30 a.m. near Baldwin’s Yokely Road…(Read the full story)