500-Gallon Propane Tank Struck by Riding Lawn Mower Caused Major Gas Leak

500-Gallon Propane Tank Struck by Riding Lawn Mower Caused Major Gas Leak

Annie Sharp | WXMI

500-gallon underground propane tank was struck by a bush hog, causing a major gas leak on Thursday.

At about 11:30 a.m., Rutherford County Fire Rescue and Christiana VFD responded to a gas leak on Old Christina Rd. where they found a propane tank with severely damaged tank valves that were allowing vapors to escape from the tank.

When mixed with oxygen propane is a flammable gas and since it is heavier than air it can easily collect in low lying areas so it was important that this leak was contained.

Once they discovered the problem Rutherford County EMS Special Operations Response team was asked to come and assist in fixing the problem…(Read the full story)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *