Georgetown firefighters learn hazards of power lines
David Purtell | South Strand News
Members of the city of Georgetown Fire Department had an up-close learning session about the dangers of power lines last week.
The program, provided by Santee Cooper, detailed common scenarios that line technicians and first responders come across, such as downed power lines or a squirrel causing a fuse to blow.
The main theme of the program was safety. Santee Cooper employees J.P. Ramsing and Ben Forbes, who combined have spent close to 30 years with the utility company, used a replica utility-pole setup, powered by a generator, to walk through common situations — it’s called the Powerline Hazards Awareness Demonstration Unit. Santee Cooper offers the free program to schools, first responders and most organizations…(Read the original story)