Cold didn’t cause Fort Mill natural gas line break. It was because of a ferret.

Cold didn’t cause Fort Mill natural gas line break. It was because of a ferret.

Andrew Dys | The Herald

The cold weather didn’t cause firefighters and gas company workers to respond Thursday to a broken natural gas line in Fort Mill. The culprit was a ferret.

A lost ferret, actually, and a father trying to find his daughter’s Christmas pet.

The Winger family’s two ferrets, a male named Spirit and a smaller female named Mika, were in the bathroom of their home just outside Fort Mill. The ferrets were Christmas gifts for daughter Portia, 16. But about 2 a.m., Chris Winger said his daughter told him Mika was missing. The only place the ferret could have escaped was through a bathroom drain pipe formerly used for the clothes washer, Winger said.

Winger said he looked under and outside the house and found the pipe did not connect with the plumbing system. He found the end of the pipe and was digging around it with a shovel to try and rescue the ferret when he inadvertently hit the natural gas line, Winger said…(Read the full story)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *